Thursday, April 22, 2010

Something to Think About.

I have been thinking about something that was said on our OLPC conference call. I was asked if my project would be perceived as "another white woman trying to tell black people what to do." That is a good point and I am really glad it came up, but it did catch me off-guard. At the time, I was sitting in a room with my daughter-in-law and my grand-daughter who are both African-American. After teaching for so long in NY, and having the family for which I am eternally grateful and of which I am enormously proud, I have become blind to color. Yes, prejudice and fear do exist, but if we are, as Ghandi said, to "be the change we want to see in the world", we have to ACT as if it doesn't. I know I will, as I work with colleagues and friends on my trip to Africa. To be asked to present to universities and high schools in another part of the world is indeed an honor and the implied trust fuels my resolve.

No comments:

Post a Comment