Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

We were up early this morning to visit with the Acting Director of the National Currriculum Development Center, Angela Kyogaba. We explained the project, demoed the XO1 and the XO tablet briefly. We spoke about integrating technology into the primary curriculum. She indicated that there was no part of the current curriculum, even the revised areas, that use technology, that some schools where parents pay had technology but not the public schools. She was very interested in the project, wanted one of the tablets for her son. We purchased the curriculum from Grade 3 through Grade 7 so that when I am working on lessons with the PTC teachers, I will be able to follow that curriculum. It was about $28 US dollars. She also supported the project. Must keep her in the loop. Great meeting. Next we (Kenneth’s brother David, Eric and I) left to go back to the Ministry to meet with the Assistant Commissioner, head of ICT, Patrick Muinda. He was very busy as the teachers are going to strike on Monday. He met with us because he thought this was a running initiative of which he was unaware. We explained that it was a pilot, that we wanted him in the loop, but as we make progress and achieve success, we would expect him to participate in a wider implementation. He was happy that we explained it properly. Again, I demoed the XO1 and XO tablet briefly. Very good meeting. Next, we went to Kisubi Tombs and met Prince Joseph Mulongo. We took a really nice tour of the tombs and purchased some paintings. David and the driver, ManaPrince Joseph is now an old friend. His paintings were among the art works that I sold at the Dominican College African Art Exhibit. We went to lunch, ate some terrible local food (first time it was bad). Then Eric and I headed back to the guest house and Eric miraculously installed Moodle on my Ventures for Good Website, so that I now have a place to host classes for the teachers! It is at venturesforgood.org/classes and I can now start. I am very familiar with Moodle as I administer it for Dominican College, but now I understand even more about how to set it up initially. Great day! Kenneth met us for dinner, Indian restaurant, Pavement. Excellent!

No comments:

Post a Comment